The IAB Technology Laboratory is a nonprofit research and development consortium charged with producing and helping companies implement global industry technical standards and solutions. The goal of the Tech Lab is to reduce friction associated with the digital advertising and marketing supply chain while contributing to the safe growth of an industry.
The IAB Tech Lab spearheads the development of technical standards, creates and maintains a code library to assist in rapid, cost-effective implementation of IAB standards, and establishes a test platform for companies to evaluate the compatibility of their technology solutions with IAB standards, which for 18 years have been the foundation for interoperability and profitable growth in the digital advertising supply chain.
The inaugural agenda and 2015 project commitments include:
- Create a comprehensive code bank to assist in simplifying and reducing the costs associated with implementation of IAB standards
- Collaborate with the Digital Advertising Alliance (DAA) in the creation of new AdChoices programs in digital video and mobile to strengthen consumer privacy options across the interactive landscape
- Advance tools and protocols in alliance with the Trustworthy Accountability Group
- Develop an IAB Standards Certification program to reduce friction with the interpretation of technical protocols
- Produce updated specifications for VAST (Digital Video Ad Serving Template), VPAID (Digital Video Player Ad Interface Definition) and MRAID (Mobile Rich Media Ad Interface Definitions) that will allow for seamless use of all three in delivering digital video advertising cross platform
The IAB Tech Lab is governed by an independent Board of Directors, which oversees its agenda and funds allocation. David J. Moore, President of WPP Digital and Chairman of Xaxis, will lead the IAB Technology Lab as Chairman of the Board and Scott Cunningham, Senior Vice President, Technology and Ad Operations at IAB is the Tech Lab’s General Manager.
The Tech Lab’s governance structure will allow it to become a truly global body and accept member companies from outside the U.S. In addition, marketers and agencies, as well as other companies with interests in the digital advertising and marketing supply chain, will be invited to join. Companies that are already IAB General Members are automatically members of the IAB Tech Lab, at no cost beyond their IAB dues.
Originally founded by TubeMogul, BrightRoll, Innovid, LiveRail & SpotExchange, the IAB Tech Lab will now be managing the “Open Video Viewability” initiative, or OpenVV, a project focused on building single open source technology for measuring Video Ad Viewability that enables streamlined measurement of the Media Rating Council (MRC) viewable impression standard for video advertising. Read the Press Release. View OpenVV on Tech Lab's GitHub
View the Demo Link
To learn more about upcoming opportunities to participate in the IAB Tech Lab, please email [email protected].